Ungirlded Women have fond memories of watching Lily’s characters Ernestine, Edith Ann and others on the sketch comedy show Laugh-In. Since then, Lily has delighted us in many film roles, including those in 9 to 5, Nashville, All of Me, I Heart Huckabees and many others. She has appeared in numerous TV specials and series including roles in Murphy Brown, The West Wing and Desperate Housewives. She is the winner of a Tony, an Emmy and a Grammy and has been nominated for an Academy Award. She is also an accomplished writer and producer.
Born in Detroit on September 1, 1939, Lily was obviously Ungirdled even as a young girl. I’ll never forget reading that when she and her younger brother Richard were growing up, they decided the living-room sofa would look better as a sectional. Being practical as well as Ungirdled and crafty, Lily and Richard reportedly took a saw to the family couch and divided it into three pieces.
Some favorite quotes from Lily:
• Don't be afraid of missing opportunities. Behind every failure is an opportunity somebody wishes they had missed.
• For fast-acting relief try slowing down.
• I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.
• I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.
• I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else.
• If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?
• If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed.
• Ninety eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them.
• Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.
• The road to success is always under construction.
• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
• Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?