Thursday, August 6, 2009

New Breastfeeding Doll Keeps Things Tit For Tat With Bottle-fed Dolls

Some days, it’s hard to come up with a blogging topic.  Other days, simply keeping abreast of the news pays off.  That is the case today.

Spanish toy manufacturer, Berjuan, has just released "Bebe Gloton," reportedly the first-ever breast-feeding doll for children.  No joke. 

In keeping tit for tat, Bebe Gloton (which, when translated, means Baby Glutton) is meant to act as an alternative to bottle-fed dolls.  The new doll comes with a halter top adorned with two daisy blossoms that, when worn, fall strategically over the child’s nipples.  When the mouth of the doll is placed on the daisy nipples it begins to make sucking sounds.  Yes, it is as creepy as it sounds,  evidenced in this You Tube video:

 

The idea behind Bebe Gloton is to reinforce the idea nursing is natural.  Well, so are the tender breasts and bleeding nipples that come with it, but from what I could tell, Bebe Gloton does not address this. I understand the doll is not yet available in the United States, but you know it’s just a matter of time.  There are some things I think we should consider before it hits our shores.   Isn’t this doll sexist?  I mean what about the boys?   Of course breastfeeding is the natural, healthful way to nourish your baby, but whatever happened to good ol’ imagination?  I never liked the idea of “urinating” dolls (another "natural" thing) either.  If we want to keep it real, how about dolls complete with dwindling bank accounts due to the hospital charges and equipment costs that come with having babies?

Since we’re getting girls ready for womanhood, should we have menstruating dolls?  How about a perimenopausal one with irregular cycles and chin hairs you must pluck?  After all, while we learned about caring for babies and handling our periods growing up, no one ever told us about the changes that come with getting older.   Finally what about the little girls who have their hearts set on growing up to be like Kate Gosselin or the Octomom.  What does this doll say to them?  I mean no woman is born with 6-8 daisy blossoms for nursing.  Oh, wait.  Do you think mother nature was trying to tell us something? 

Sorry to go on and on.  Just had to milk this one for all it’s worth!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh.... You were the comment ahead of me on SITS today and I'm sooooo glad! This is ultra creepy and hilarious at the same time! LOL! Definitely passing this one on to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and I thought that old Betsy Wetsy doll was bad! This just takes the cake! Next it will be a doll attached to stirrups to prepare girls for their first gynocological exam. I mean, honestly! Why can't we let kids be kids and they can learn about adult stuff when they are adults?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen - thanks! So glad you stopped by!

    Mandy - I hear ya and totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no. Noooooooo. No. Just no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought the peeing dolls were hilarious, but this is just wrong. Are there really a trend going on were people don't see nursing as something natural? Sex is also natural, but anatomically correct dolls aren't being sold for a REASON. This should be under that reason also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy SITS saturday, hilarious blog!
    Cheers!
    www.conquerthemonkey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanessa - I know. I know.

    Wynn - I agree - a big ol' bowlful of wrong! Good point on anatomically correct dolls. Too much too early. Let the children be children for a while.

    Conquer - Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, i'd like to say that i was a bit surprised to see this. I don't really know how to react. i just thought that its startling.I couldn't agree that it reinforces the idea that breastfeeding is natural. I don't really know...

    Great post btw! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eva & Evil - I know what you mean. Never thought we'd have to wrap our heads around this one! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete